Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti & Disaster Aid

As we learn more about the massive earthquake in Port-au-Prince yesterday, it gives us the opportunity to look at the science behind a lot of the disaster aid that is going to happen over the next few days, weeks, and years. [The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies have the most on-the-ground experience, and are probably the best place for you to send money. And please, don't send t-shirts and old blankets.] Contrary to popular belief, there is a method behind all of the madness, and operations will be scaled up in a (hopefully) thoughtful and organized fashion, based on years of experience and publications. Unfortunately, we don't have the scientific rigor that other fields have, with their randomized trials and the like, but for a literature that, by its very nature, has to be spontaneous, the disaster response academic community is robust. A lot of it comes from the Katrina experience, and while things will be drastically different in Port-au-Prince because of the underlying infrastructure, there are definitely lessons to be applied.

The Sphere Project has been the guiding light for this formalization of a previously informal community, setting standards and codes for any humanitarian or disaster response. The seminal paper in the literature is from the CDC, published in the Lancet in 2002, where, retrospectively, and across various camps, they found exactly what you would expect. That refugee camps located close to the conflict or disruption, further from hospitals, or where there was less water, had higher mortality rates.

Nutrition is obviously crucial, and there are many review papers looking at the best way to feed a displaced, post-emergency population. The most thorough is this one, once again from the Lancet in 2004.

The dictum of epidemiologists (the ones that I know, anyway) is "don't just do something, stand there (and measure something)". No disaster response is effective without mapping out what you're responding to, and our modern satellite technology has changed how this is done. We all remember how Google Earth was used during the Katrina response, and the GIS (geographic information systems) technology has exponentially grown since then.

Lastly, shelter creation is one of the most important facets of disaster response. Here's a link to the USAID site on shelters and settlements, and some of the innovative things happening globally with creating that perfect new shelter, which must be cheap, weather-proof, easy to deploy and transport, culturally appropriate, and therefore, almost impossible to create.

SPIEGEL, P., SHEIK, M., GOTWAYCRAWFORD, C., & SALAMA, P. (2002). Health programmes and policies associated with decreased mortality in displaced people in postemergency phase camps: a retrospective study The Lancet, 360 (9349), 1927-1934 DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11915-5



YOUNG, H., BORREL, A., HOLLAND, D., & SALAMA, P. (2004). Public nutrition in complex emergencies The Lancet, 364 (9448), 1899-1909 DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17447-3

Nourbakhsh, I., Sargent, R., Wright, A., Cramer, K., McClendon, B., & Jones, M. (2006). Mapping disaster zones Nature, 439 (7078), 787-788 DOI: 10.1038/439787a

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete

  2. It took almost one year for my first real outbreak but it was the hardest thing in the world to get along with. I felt so unwanted and dirty. I tried many formulas, suggestions, methods to get rid of it permanently. Booked appointment with many doctors, professionals, even religiously until I started getting away spiritually and still it won't go. The worst is my outbreaks occurs within short period and take as long as even weeks to go away. I was at last placed on antiviral treatment which is a good treatment but for how long? I prayed every four times a day for God to cure me miraculously or direct me to cure because I know there is. During outbreaks I thought it's the end of the world but it's not, with time I will become normal again. I started trying fruits and herbs, take herbal produced, and with time became very interested in herbs. I read blogs, websites, and comments on herbs and built a stronger hope. I saw comments and decided to try Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal meds. I know of one mr Brown who was HIV and now brags he was cured of HIV with Dr Utu traditional meds but never give it a thought because I believed HIV already has a cure and never think it through or make a research. And for herpes my doctor told me that there is no known cure. When I saw testimonies of his Herpes cure on sites. I copied his contact drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. I showed it to brown who confirmed it was Dr Utu contact. I contacted him immediately and he also prepared and sent me herbal herpes meds through DHL. Right after getting this traditional meds I followed the prescription cautiously and withing days I started noticing rapid change and I know within me it's the cure. I used it for up to two weeks and when my test result was out not only did this herbal meds cure me but boost my immune and I feel real and free. Dr Utu African Traditional meds have successfully cured Herpes, Warts, HIV, Cancers, Kidney Stone, Asthma, most importantly this traditional meds boost immune and have no after effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose with genital warts since 2012 i have be taking lot treatment and all i got is outbreak. in 2015 I gave up the treatment because I can't continues wasting time and money on treatment at the end it will not cure me. about 6 weeks ago i did natural research online I had So many people talking good about natural remedy, after the research i was recommended to Dr onokun, And I wrote to him through his email and told him my problem after some conversations with him he gave me natural treatment after 1 week Dr onokun treated me i got cured permanently. and i went to see my doc he confirmed that the diseases has gone out from my body. every patients should know there is 100% natural hpv cure. contact Dr onokun his email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS A&B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,PARKINSON DISEASE,INFLUENZA,. COMMON COLD, AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER, LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN, JOINT SCHIZOPHRENIA , PAIN.LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2348142454860  he is a real good and honest man.  
    website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete